Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sand Art Brownie Mix

This is an excerpt from my family's blog, which I thought would be appropriate to move on over here. They make great gifts!

I saw this in last year's "Taste of Home" and thought it would be the perfect project for my kids to work on with me as teacher Christmas gifts. We made 7 jars of this brownie mix, and of course one for us. One has to try the recipe out before we mass distribute it, right?

I got the jars from The Container Store for $4 each. The ingredients were about $20, and that makes 7 gifts. Not bad for a teacher gift, huh?

Despite my plan for the kids to work on these with me, they lost interest pretty quickly. We got enough involvement for each kid to take a picture "in action", and then it was pretty much time for Kevin and I to work like 60 finishing these out while the kids played.







Ta dah! The completed jars. I will decorate them and send a final pic. Homemade by Jill has some great ideas for decorating jars for Christmas.



Sand Art Brownie Mix (Taste of Home Dec/Jan 2009 Issue)
1 cup + 2 T all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)

Additional ingredients:
3 eggs
2/3 cup canola oil
1 t vanilla extract

Sand art instructions:
in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. In a 1 qt glass conainter, layer the flour mixture, cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, chips, and nuts. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch (4 cups total)

To prepare brownies: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add brownie mix, stir until blended.

Spread into greased 9-in square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment